Camano Island Info. All rights reserved.

English Boom Historical Park

N. Moore Rd.

Camano Island, WA 98282

This 6 acre Park with 900 feet of waterfront is located in in a peaceful spot overlooking Skagit Bay.  The park contains a scenic trail that winds through salt marshes and driftwood.  There is a very diverse habitat of many species of birds such as Blue herons,  eagles, falcons and the occasional killdear.  Bird-watching groups frequently plan field trips to this spot.   Amazing sites of Mt. Baker and Mt. Pilchuck are off in the distance.  At the park entrance there is enough parking for 6-8 cars.  This is a great destination for a short hiking adventure or hiking trip.


Waterfront Trail


Walk length: Over a quarter-mile round trip.


Level of difficulty: Short, level paved path runs from the parking-lot shelter out to

the beach; a gravel-turning-quickly-to-dirt trail heads east through the marsh with

boards bridging tidal channels (trail often mucky).


Facilities: Waterfront Trail, Parking Lot, Handicap Viewing Platform, covered area with a picnic table.


Restrictions: Leash and scoop laws in effect for dog owners.


Directions: From Interstate 5, about 18 miles north of Everett, take Exit 212, and head six miles west on Highway 532 to Stanwood. Continue west, and after crossing over Davis Slough onto Camano Island, turn right on Good Road, which eventually curves left and becomes Utsalady Road. After 1.8 miles, just after the small airfield, turn right on Moore Road, and follow it to the end.


History


This area was once part of the thriving timber industry from 1922-1945.  During the 1920s and 1930s, the English Lumber Co. logged the forests to the east of Stanwood and Mount Vernon. The logs were then transported by rail to the water, and corralled together into log booms in Skagit Bay. Tugboats then hauled the floating logs to sawmills all around Puget Sound. The pilings rising out of the water were pile driven into the tidelands around 1922, and are all that remain of the settlement of piers and shacks.  The log boom was closed in 1945 when the English Lumber Company was sold to the Puget Sound Pulp & Timber Company.Purchase of the land for the English Boom Historical Park was made possible through the efforts and sponsorship of Friends of Camano Island Parks. The property was acquired in 1997 and was the first public park property on Camano Island purchased with Island County Conservation Futures Funds.